- To appreciate the thousands of hours of work that I've already put into Green Chess.
- To cover the costs of maintaining Green Chess, thus keeping it alive in the long term, keeping it free for everyone, and keeping it free from advertisements.
- To allow me to spend more time on improving Green Chess – see my plans below.
By donating, you help me work on the following improvements:
- Rating system that assigns scores to the players based on the game results (wins and losses). My idea is to implement the Glicko rating system, first for symmetric two-player variants. Later I may introduce separate scores for each variant, and I might also extend the system to three- or four-player variants (if I have any idea how to do that).
- Chess clock that allows live matches with fixed time (or fixed time plus increment after each move, in a customizable way). Currently the only limit is two weeks for one move, which is suitable for correspondence, but inconvenient for live matches.
- Better controls: I plan to make the site more convenient with a keyboard (i.e. shortcuts for everything) and on mobile/tablet (e.g. easy navigation in move history, easily going to the next game by a sweep or similar).
- Better notifications when a move happens in a live game, e.g. a sound effect or a flashing title bar (optionally, of course).
- Downloading games in PGN, at least for regular Chess games, maybe for some other games, but most probably not for all chess variants.
- Forum: a way to discuss chess topics publicly on the site. Probably also a way to add comments to chess variants' descriptions. (But first I have to find out what language to use, i.e. whether to separate the English and Hungarian versions of the forums or not.)
If you'd donate for one specific goal (e.g. one of the above), you can let me know by adding a note to the payment, so I can prioritize those improvements.
Note: any donation, small or big, one-time or regular, is appreciated, but regular donations are better for keeping the website alive in the long term.